Making a remarkable achievement, researchers with Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham have been ranked in the world’s top 2% list of scientists by Stanford University. Categories are based upon papers published and years spent on research. It is the university's third year in a row in the database, and the number of researchers increases from 10 to 15.
The rankings, considered the most prestigious worldwide, are drawn from the bibliometric information contained in Scopus, the largest abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature including scientific journals, books and conference proceedings. It contains more than 180,000 researchers from the more than 8 million scientists considered to be active worldwide, with 22 scientific fields and 176 subfields taken into account.
Two lists are published for the year 2022. The first list is based on the number of research papers published and amount of years spent on research. It includes eight scientists from the university:
- Dr P Venkat Rangan, Vice-Chancellor of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Dr Maneesha V Ramesh, Provost, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham
- Dr Shantikumar Nair, Dean of Amrita School of Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine
- Dr Jayakumar Rangasamy, Professor, School of Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine
- Dr R Krishnakumar, Professor and Head at Department of Pediatric Cardiology, Amrita School of Medicine
- Dr Madhav Datta, Emeritus Professor
- Dr N Radhika, Professor at Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore
- Dr Bijo Mathew, Professor at Amrita School of Pharmacy
- Dr Maneesha V Ramesh
- Dr Shantikumar Nair
- Dr Jayakumar Rangasamy
- Dr R Krishnakumar
- Dr Bijo Mathew
- Dr N Radhika
- Dr KP Soman, Associate Dean of Amrita School of Computing
- Dr KA Ramachandran, Professor at Amrita School of Engineering, Coimbatore
- Dr K Manzoor, Professor at Amrita School of Nano Sciences and Molecular Medicine
- Dr R Krishankumar, Assistant Professor, Amrita School of Computing, Coimbatore
- Dr M Suresh, Professor at Amrita School of Business, Coimbatore
- Dr A Anitha, who is now with Queensland University Australia, is listed via Amrita School of Nanosciences and Molecular Medicine
- Dr Denny John, who is now Adjunct Professor at Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, is listed via Amrita School of Allied Health Sciences, Kochi
On the international level, Amrita is ranked 41st in the world, the only Indian university in the top 50, by the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings, 2022—a system of global indicators to assess the progress of universities towards the UN's 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition, the United Nations has awarded the university two UNESCO Chairs, namely the UNESCO Chair for Experiential Learning for Sustainable Innovation & Development and the UNESCO Chair on Gender Equality & Women’s Empowerment.
Amrita is headquartered at Coimbatore and spread across seven campuses in four states—Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh. The university globally partners with academic, industry, and governmental institutions to accomplish human-centred, translational, and groundbreaking research.
To date, Amrita has more than 500 collaborations from more than 200 signed Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs). Some of its partners include Harvard University, Columbia University, King’s College London, KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, VU Amsterdam, the British Geological Society, University of Oxford, Italian National Research Council, Deakin University, and the University of Tokyo.
Amma is the Founder, Chancellor, and guiding light of Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham. Her words, thoughts, and vision for education and research founded upon universal values have shaped the university’s mission.